Thursday, March 05, 2009

St. Patrick's Mobius Bracelet


The beautiful prayer of St. Patrick, popularly known as "St. Patrick's Breast-Plate" , is believed to have been composed in preparation for his victory over Paganism.

Patrick was born in Scotland in 387 AD. At the age of 16, he was kidnapped by Irish marauders, and assigned to tend the flocks of the Druid chieftain, Milchu. As with many people who are cruelly removed from their environment, Patrick turned to prayer for comfort, and became a Christian.

After approximately 6 years, Patrick heard a voice urging him to leave, and believed it to be God. Considering he was a slave, this was no easy feat. He trusted that God would provide an escape from his captors. Finally able to flee, Patrick travelled 200 miles to find a ship that would transport him back to Britain.

He then dedicated his life to God, returning to Ireland for missionary work, to free the Irish population from Druid influence and bringing Christianity to the masses. He founded over 360 churches during his 60 years of missions.

St. Patrick died on March 17 (reported years vary, but most accounts cite the year as 493 AD) and it is easy to see why the Irish have celebrated his life and accomplishments.

Celebrate your faith & heritage on St. Patrick's Day with a gift for the special person in your life (or for yourself!) and consider a sterling silver mobius bracelet with St. Patrick's prayer. If you're unfamiliar with this popular prayer, here's the piece that's engraved on this beautiful and timeless bracelet:


I bind to myself today
God's power to guide me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to teach me,
God's eye to watch over me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to give me speech,
God's hand to guide me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to shelter me,
God's host to secure me.